google-site-verification: googlee16c7726ecc34510.html

Appearing in Court

IMPORTANT- The Municipal Court handles a wide variety of offense violations, but not all tickets that are written in the city of Aurora are written into the Aurora Municipal Court. For more information on the types of tickets/charges handled at the Aurora Municipal Court, please visit the Tickets & Summons section, or contact the correct County, District, and Other Courts.

The Aurora Municipal Court has jurisdiction over city ordinances. Many of the traffic violations are payable prior to court, but most criminal violations require an appearance in court before a judge.Citations involving an animal are considered criminal violations.

Before coming to court, please note:

  • The Aurora Municipal Court is open from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding court holidays. If the court date on your ticket falls on a holiday, your court date will be the next business day.

Court Room
  • To gain entry into the Aurora Municipal Court, you will have to pass through a metal detector and your belongings will pass through an X-ray machine. To avoid problems gaining access to the building, food and beverages are not allowed in the courthouse. Anything that could be construed as a weapon, as well as avoiding clothing articles that have excessive metal.

  • Traffic court begins at 8 a.m. Traffic Court is located on the second floor in the First Appearance Center (FAC). Check-in times are based on the first letter of your last name; A-G at 8 a.m., H-O at 9 a.m., P-Z at 10 a.m. If you are appearing before your scheduled court date, you will need to check in at one of the windows on the first floor before proceeding upstairs to the FAC.

  • Walk-in Court is an open court in which you can talk to a judge about payment of fines, warrants, continuances, requests for public defenders, and compliance with court orders. The court session begins Monday thru Friday at 1:30 p.m. Please check in at the customer service windows at least 15 minutes early so that your paperwork can be pulled and sent over to the court.

  • Jury Service check-in starts at 8:30 a.m. Please proceed to the Jury Commissioner's Office with your Jury Summons in hand.

  • If are coming to court to deal with a matter for someone who is in custody, please proceed to division 8 located on the second floor, and wait for the courtroom assistant. (Division 8 closed from noon through 1:30 p.m.)

  • If you are coming to court for non-traffic, non-incustody matter, please look for your name on one of the two screens in the Rotunda area and proceed to the courtroom that your trial has been assigned.

Aurora Municipal Court - City Attorney’s Office PBM
14999 E. Alameda Parkway
Aurora, CO 80012

Court employees are not allowed to give legal advice, but may answer procedural questions.

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand/Collapse All

Can I change my court date or come in before my court date?

You can change your arraignment date one time without having to go to court, and can receive a two-week extension. If two weeks is not enough time, or you have already had one extension, you must appear in court on your appearance date.

If you are appearing after posting a bond, you cannot change your court date without consent by the person or bail bondsman who posted your bond.

You may come in before your court date during traffic court hours, 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., Monday through Friday. Check in at the customer service windows to have your paperwork pulled and they will direct you where to go.

Your summons must have been received by the court and entered into our system before you can appear. The summons usually your takes 14 days to be received by the court.

Can I get married at the city of Aurora?

A Justice of the Peace performs marriages by appointment only. Please call 303.739.6535 to schedule a wedding at the Aurora Municipal Court. You must have your marriage license, issued by the county, prior to your appointment with the Justice of the Peace.

Can I get on a payment plan for paying court fines?

As a general rule, payment of your fine is expected on the day you receive the fine. You must appear in court in order to get a payment plan of any kind. Different types of payment plans are offered, depending on the charges and the amount of the fine. The customer service clerks can give you the information you need at the time of payment.

Can someone come in and pay my ticket for me?

Another person can pay the ticket or make a payment for you. You may not bring in someone else’s credit card, if they are not present, to pay your ticket or make a payment. The signer on the credit card must be present.

How do I find out if I have a warrant and how do I take care of the warrant?

To find out if you have a warrant from the Aurora Municipal Court, call 303.739.6444 and follow the prompts on the recorded message.

If the warrant is for non-payment, you must pay in full to cancel the warrant. Most tickets that have gone to warrant cannot be paid over the phone or internet. You will need to go to the Aurora Municipal Court, 14999 E. Alameda Parkway, between 7:30 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. Payment can be made by cash, credit card or money order only.

If it is a warrant for not appearing for a mandatory court date, you must appear in court. You may appear on an active warrant anytime within court business hours: 8 a.m. to noon and 1:30 to 5 p.m. It is recommended that you appear no later than 4:30 p.m.

How soon does my payment post if I put it in the payment drop box?

As long as your payment is in the drop box by 5 p.m., your payment will post the same day.

How soon does my payment post if I use the automated phone or online payment systems?

Your payment will post instantly when you pay via the phone, 303.739.6444, or online at the Pay Court Fine section of our website.

How soon does my payment post to my account if I mail it?

Once your payment is received in the mail, it will post no later than the next business day.

If I am issued a ticket for no proof of insurance, can I fax or bring in my proof of insurance card?

No. If you are charged with any insurance-related offense, in order to have the court consider dismissal of an insurance charge, you will be required to provide, at the time of your court appearance, a letter from the insurance company stating that you were insured while driving the vehicle on the date and time of the violation. An insurance card will not be considered sufficient.

What can I do if my license is suspended or put on hold because I didn’t pay a ticket or fine?

If you don’t pay a ticket or fine, the Aurora Municipal Court will send a notification to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) that you have an unpaid ticket/or warrant. The DMV will place a hold on your ability to get or replace your license and will start the procedure of suspending your license if you don’t take care of the ticket within a certain amount of time. That time is determined by DMV, not the Aurora Municipal Court.

You will need to appear in court if required and/or pay the ticket in full (cash, credit, money order) plus any fines accessed by the judge before the DMV will clear the hold/suspension of your driver’s license.

Once payment has been made in full, the court can give you a clearance notice to take to the DMV, or you can wait and the hold/suspension on your license will be removed within two to three days of payment in full.

If you are on a payment plan, the clearance letter will be issued after your fine is paid in full.

What do I do if I want to contest a traffic ticket or a parking ticket?

To contest a traffic or parking ticket you must appear in traffic court on the court date on your ticket.

If you receive a parking ticket on a car you have sold, you may send in the bill of sale to the City Attorney’s office at the address below (also listed on the back of your ticket).

Aurora Municipal Court
City Attorney’s Office
14999 E. Alameda Parkway
Aurora, CO 80012

What happens if I don’t pay a ticket or court fine or am late paying the fine?

Depending on the charges, you are subject to a warrant being issued for your arrest and/or a hold being placed on your driver’s license if you are late in paying or do not pay the fine. There are also a variety of fees and late charges that will be accessed.

On parking tickets, a $20 late fee will be added and will be sent to collections if not paid within 30 days of your scheduled court date.

What if I live out of state and cannot appear in court on my scheduled court day?

You may write a letter to the City Attorney’s office at the address listed below (also listed on the back of your ticket).

Explain that you live out of state. The City Attorney will do what is called a Plea By Mail (PBM). This is all handled through the mail and the City Attorney will mail an offer to you to settle the case without requiring your appearance.

Aurora Municipal Court
City Attorney’s Office
14999 E. Alameda Parkway
Aurora, CO 80012

What should I do if I lost my ticket and don’t know my court date?

You can call 303.739.6444 for information about tickets and summonses that were issued for the Aurora Municipal Court. You will need to provide your name and date of birth. Please note that your ticket information may not be available until 14 days after it was issued.

If you were charged with DUI, license plate, or driver's license violations, your ticket will be handled at county court and you will need to contact the appropriate county court for information.

Where can I get a copy of a police report?

Copies of police reports may be obtained at the Aurora Police Department, located next to the court house, 15001 E. Alameda Parkway. Call the police records division at 303.739.6308 for additional information.

Where can I get a protection order?

If you reside on the east side of I-25, protection orders may be filed at the District Court Centennial Location, 7325 S. Potomac St., Centennial, CO 80112, 303.645.6600. If you reside on the west side of I-25, protection orders may be also filed at the County Court Littleton Location, 1790 W. Littleton Blvd., Littleton, CO 80120, 303.798.4591. If there is a pending or ongoing domestic relations or child custody case in Arapahoe County, please file the protection order in that case at the Centennial location. Protection order paperwork must be completely filled out and filed prior to 4 p.m. to be heard that day. Forms and additional information may be obtained from the state website. The main judicial website is

Where can I get my fingerprints done?

If you have been ordered by the court to have your fingerprints taken, you may go to the Aurora Detention Center, 14999 E. Alameda Parkway:

Sunday, 2 to 7 a.m.
Wednesday, 5 to 7 p.m.
Saturday, Noon to 4 p.m.

If you need fingerprinting done for a job or other non-court purpose, you may have your fingerprints take at the Aurora Police Department, 15001 E. Alameda Parkway:

Tuesday and Thursday, 10 to 11:30 a.m. and 3 to 5:30 p.m.

The cost is $11 up to 3 cards for Aurora residents and $22 for non-residents.

You do not need to have an appointment to have your fingerprints done.

Where can I go to change my name?

Name changes can be done at either of these two locations: Littleton County Court, 1790 W. Littleton Blvd., Littleton, CO 80120, 303.798.4591, or Arapahoe District Court, 7325 S. Potomac St., Centennial, CO 80112, 303.645.6600. The main judicial website is

Where do I go for court?

Many jurisdictions serve the city of Aurora. Where you go will depend on which agency issued the ticket and the nature of the case. The information below serves as a guideline. If you are unsure where to go to court, or for court services, please call the phone numbers listed.

Aurora Municipal Court
14999 E. Alameda Parkway
Aurora, CO 80012

Adams County Court
1100 Judicial Center Drive
Brighton, CO 80601

Arapahoe District Court
7325 S. Potomac St.
Centennial, CO 80112

Why can’t I pay my ticket or payment over the phone?

If your ticket is payable and you have not been to court, you can pay the ticket by using our automated phone system at 303.739.6444 or pay online at the Pay Court Fine section of our website. It is recommended you DO NOT use a cell phone when using our automated phone system. We do not have the ability to take your payment "live." Our payment systems are all automated.

If your ticket requires a mandatory court appearance, or if you have already been to court, you cannot pay using our automated systems. You must come in to pay or mail a payment, or put your payment in the drop box.

If you are having technical or credit card issues while paying your court fines using our automated systems, please call 303.739.6444 to speak to a court clerk.

City of Aurora | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2023 Intrado Corporation.