Welcome to Aurora, Colorado
New website homepage
The city of Aurora wants your help reviewing its new website, which will roll out soon. Click here to check it out and provide your feedback.

Business Licensing
Questions about this Topic?

business couple
Any "person" (person defined as a sole proprietor, partnership, LLC, or corporation, including non-profit organizations) who conducts business activities within the city of Aurora, regardless of the physical location of the business, is required to have a business license. A separate license is required for each location within the city of Aurora.

Licensing a company to conduct business in Aurora begins with the Business License Application. The resulting business license is the company’s authorization to conduct business in Aurora. It also establishes the required sales, use, Occupational Privilege (OPT) and/or Lodgers tax filing roles and allows the business access to a variety of city services including online filing options.

Use the Business License App link below to initiate your request for a business license. The online application tool will guide you through the application process and offers a variety of ways to pay for the license and fees. (Pay online via ACH or credit card or print a voucher to mail a paper check.) A link to a PDF paper application is available at the bottom of this page if you are unable to use the online system. (Note: Processing a paper application takes longer than the online system and requires a $10.00 processing fee.)

Marijuana retail store, cultivation, manufacturing and testing establishments must go to the Aurora Marijuana Enforcement Division web page for licensing information. Applicants may not use the city's online business licensing application for this process. 

Business Addresses Map

Business License is Non-Transferable with Change of Business Ownership

Any change of ownership requires a new application and $39.25 fee for the business license.

The change of a license from one location to another shall require the submission of an amended application and the issuance of a new license, with payment of an application fee only, in accordance with the provisions relating to the particular license for which such transfer is sought.

Download a Change/Amended Application (PDF).

Please view the Aurora Code, Chapter 86 LICENSES, for more information. 

Requirements for a "Home Occupation" Business

Home Occupation is a secondary use that operates business activities within a residential dwelling and follows the Supplemental Regulations for Home Occupations set forth within the Zoning and Building Code (Section 146-1220 and Section 146-2001).

Home Occupations require a Business License and must meet the following regulations:

1. The residents of the dwelling unit shall be the only people engaged in the activity;
2. The activity is carried on only in the principal building and is incidental and secondary to the primary purpose served by the dwelling;
3. The storage of materials to be used in the activity shall be inside either the principal building or an accessory building;
4. There shall be no external evidence, which in any way advertise or evidence the performance of the activity;
5. Except for parties entering the dwelling unit as a result of prior individual invitation, in no way shall the general public be invited or solicited upon the premises;
6. Performance of any personal service including, but not limited to, insurance agents, tax consultants and instruction in the arts, shall be limited to one pupil, client (which may include a partnership, married couple or parties engaged in a joint venture) or customer, at any one time;
7. In no way shall the use jeopardize the health, safety or welfare of the occupants or of the surrounding neighborhood; and
8. The operation of a Home Occupation shall not cause or encourage an amount of vehicular or pedestrian traffic above what is normally associated with the residential area in which the Home Occupation is conducted. Commercial vehicles less than 7,000 pounds empty weight are permitted on a residentially zoned lot (Section 146-1501). Truck tractors, semitrailers and tow trucks are not permitted on residentially zoned lots.

Note: The conducting of an animal hospital, barbershop, beauty parlor, day care, health clinic, hospital, kennel, dog/cat daycare, contractor yard, auto repair / detailing, outdoor storage, retail marijuana, commercial food preparation / catering or restaurant or tearoom shall not be deemed to be a "home occupation."

Daycare homes/centers, group homes, schools, places of worship or other uses listed in the Residential Use Table (5.1) within Residential zones are not regarded as home occupations because they are categorized as Live/Work and are regulated separately within the Zoning and Building Code.

All licenses referred to here and issued by the Tax and Licensing Division are not transferable to a new owner. Any change of ownership requires a new application and license, with fees paid according to the provisions applying to that particular license.

Last Updated 12/22/2014

Temporary Retail Business/Sales Tax License

Vendors who make retail sales within the city of Aurora during a temporary retail event may use the Temporary Retail Business/Sales Tax License form to remit Aurora sales taxes collected for the event. This form is not intended to be used by a business that regularly operates in Aurora and is required to have a business license.

Temporary retail event means an event where retail sales as defined in section 130-31 are made by one or more temporary retail businesses, which event occurs for a period not to exceed seven consecutive days. A common use of this form would be a vendor operating at a craft fair.

No vendor may use more than five Temporary Retail Business/Sales Tax License forms within any 12-month period.

other business couple
Small Business Assistance

The Aurora Small Business Development Center (SBDC) offers assistance and support to entrepreneurs in Arapahoe, Douglas, and Adams counties. We work with small business owners at all stages of business, whether they have an idea and are considering starting a business, have just started their business, or have been operating for an extended period of time.

Business Licensing and Tax Class

Aurora offers a free workshop designed to help new and existing businesses understand business licensing and taxes. This beginner level seminar is intended to explain what is necessary to start-up in Aurora, and all types of businesses are welcome. Understand the process of obtaining a business license in Aurora, taxpayer rights and responsibilities, taxes you may have to pay, and the reason that audits are conducted.  Tax and Licensing staff will be available to answer questions specific to your industry or situation.

Date:Wednesday, June 8, 2016 from 9 a.m. to noon
Location:Aurora Municipal Center
2nd Floor Aspen Conference Room
15151 E. Alameda Parkway
Aurora, CO 80012

Please go to the Colorado Small Business Development Center Network
(SBDC) web site for more details and to register. Drop-ins are welcome, but registration will help to ensure sufficient seating for everyone.

New Business Lists

Download a list of new business licenses issued by Aurora.  Copies of New Business Lists for previous years may be obtained in the Business Licensing Office at 15151 E. Alameda Parkway, #1100, Aurora, CO 80012, 303-739-7057 at $0.25 per page.

Additional Licensing

After Hours Club License
  • Expires one year from issuance
  • Application Fee: $326.00
  • License Fee: $355.00 per year
After Hours Club Manager's Annual License
  • Expires one year from issuance
  • Application Fee: None
  • License Fee: $65.25 per year

Amusement Device License

An "amusement device" is any device that, upon payment of consideration, may be operated by the public as a game, entertainment, amusement or test of skill. Any person who displays amusement devices or jukeboxes on or about his or her place of business must obtain a license.
  • Expires Dec. 31
  • Application Fee: $13.25
  • License Fee: $31.25 per amusement device per year
Amusement Device Distributor License

A "distributor" is any person in the business of marketing or placing amusement devices or jukeboxes in or about places of business within the city, other than those businesses, which are under their direct control. Any distributor doing business within the city must obtain a license.
  • Expires one year from issuance
  • Application Fee: $13.25
  • License Fee: $130.00 per year

Amusement Enterprise License

A temporary amusement enterprise license must be obtained prior to commencing the operation of any of the following activities: Circus, carnival, exhibition, menagerie, sideshow, concert, caravan or collection of various amusements or amusement devices.
  • Expires with cessation of operation
  • Application Fee: $13.25
  • License Fee for circuses and carnivals: $130.00 for the first day and $65.25 for each additional day
  • License Fee for all others listed above: $65.25 for first day and $31.75 for each additional day

Christmas Tree Lot License

Any person selling Christmas trees at retail in the city shall obtain a license prior to commencing such activity. If Christmas trees are sold or offered for sale at more than one location, each location is required to obtain a separate license. The $194.00 deposit required as security for cleaning up the licensed premises shall be forfeited if such premises are not cleared of all trash, debris, trees and temporary buildings on or before Jan. 15 of the year following issuance of the license. The $130.00 sales tax deposit and the $194.00 clean-up deposit will not be required from businesses which operate year-round and whose primary purpose is not Christmas tree sales.
  • Valid Nov. 20 through Dec. 31
  • Application Fee: $13.25
  • License Fee: $130.00 per year; $194.00 clean-up deposit; $130.00 sales tax deposit

Door to Door Seller’s License and Identification Card

Any person who engages in or conducts business going house to house in a residential area of the city of Aurora selling or making immediate or later delivery of goods, merchandise, services or anything of value must obtain a license prior to conducting this activity. This door to door seller must have a current, City issued Identification card in their possession at all times while conducting his or her business. Aurora Municipal Code Section 86-226 through 86-233 can be referenced online at www.municode.com.
  • Expires one year from issuance
  • Application Fee: $13.25
  • License Fee: $13.25 per year
  • Door to Door Seller's Identification Card
  • Fee: $32.75 every 90 days
  • Door to Door Seller's Sales Tax Deposit: $130.00
Door to Door Seller's License

Application for Door to Door Seller's Identification Card

Guidelines for Door-to-Door Direct Sell Agents in the City of Aurora


Q: Do all solicitors need to have a door-to-door license and an ID badge?
A: Yes with the exception of persons selling newspaper subscriptions and charitable organizations, they must be licensed and be wearing a city issued ID badge at all times while conducting his or her business in residential areas of the city. The ID badge is in no way an endorsement of the door to door seller or of their business practices.

Q: If you believe they are not licensed, you may ask to see if their city issued ID badge.
A: Please call the Tax & Licensing Office at 303-739-7057 to verify the business has a current license. Some businesses also need to have a contractor’s license to fulfill the sales or services they are selling to you, such as siding for your home. You can verify a contractor’s license through the Building Department at 303-739-7420.

Q: Is a door-to-door license required in a commercial or retail area?
A: No, only in a residential area.

Q: How do you report a “less than positive experience” with a door-to-door direct sell agent?
A: You have several options:
• If a person refuses to leave or you feel threatened by them you should dial 911 and request a police officer.
• You may call your PAR (Police Area Representative) Officer to make a report. If you do not know who your PAR officer is, go to www.auroragov.org Aurora Connect (link), input your address number, scroll down to your street, and click on Go. On top of the box, Click on My Neighborhood. The third column will have the PAR officer’s name and phone number.
• You may call Access Aurora at 303-739-7000 to make a complaint.
• You may use the web site www.auroragov.org/ContactUs to make a complaint.
• Understand that often when a police officer responds to a call the sales person is usually gone and difficult to locate.

Revised 7-15-15

Massage Parlor License
  • Expires one year from issuance
  • Application Fee: $261.00
  • License Fee: $194.00 per year

Pawnbrokers License

"Pawnbroker" means every person engaged in the business of receiving property in pledge, or as security for money or other things advanced to the pawner or pledgor. Every person who shall in the course of his or her business purchase any personal property, with an agreement expressed or implied to resell the property to the person selling, pledging or depositing the same is a pawnbroker. All pawnbrokers wanting to do business within the city must first obtain a license for each location at which such business will be conducted.

No license shall be issued until the applicant has furnished a bond in the amount of $1,000, with at least two sureties, or a corporate surety, authorized to do business in the state. The applicant shall furnish such information as requested by the city to establish and confirm his or her moral character as it relates to doing business as a pawnbroker.
  • Expires one year from issuance 
  • Application Fee: $2,595.00 
  • License Fee: $649.00 per year
Pawnbroker's Manager's Annual License
  • Expires one year from issuance 
  • Application Fee: None 
  • License Fee: $65.25 per year

Seasonal Business License

Seasonal business means any business, which is intended to be, and is in fact, carried on or engaged in by any person not to exceed 180 consecutive days. 
  • Expires 180 days from issuance 
  • Application Fee: $13.25
  • License Fee: $13.25
  • Seasonal Business Sales Tax Deposit: $130.00

Secondhand Dealer License

"Secondhand dealer" means: 1) Any person whose principal business is that of engaging in selling or trading secondhand property; 2) any person whose principal business is not that of engaging in selling or trading secondhand property, but who sells or trades secondhand property through means commonly known as flea markets or any similar facilities in which secondhand property is offered for sale or trade; 3) any person who sells or trades secondhand property from a nonpermanent location, such as a booth at a flea market or other similar facility; or 4) any person who purchases for resale any secondhand property, the sale or trade of which equals or exceeds $30 in value per item or which carries a manufacturer number, serial number or other identifying mark; or 5) an person who purchases any secondhand property in the form of precious or semi-precious metals or stone. Any secondhand dealer who wishes to conduct business in the city must first obtain a license.
  • Expires one year from issuance 
  • Application Fee: $518.00 
  • License Fee: $130.00 per year
Background Information Report

Sexually Oriented Business License 
  • Expires one year from issuance 
  • Application Fee: $649.00 
  • License Fee: $261.00

Stable License

"Stable" is defined as any stable where four or more horses, or four or more pack animals are boarded, or kept for hire to the general public, or otherwise kept for compensation. Any time four or more horses, or four or more pack animals are located on a property, those animals will be presumed to be boarded, or kept for hire to the general public, or otherwise kept for compensation. Anyone operating a stable in the city is required to obtain a license.
  • Expires one year from issuance 
  • Application Fee: $13.25 
  • License Fee: $130.00 per year

Teen Club License 
  • Expires one year from issuance 
  • Application Fee: $326.00 
  • License Fee: $355.00 per year

Trash Haulers Certificate of Registration

Any person engaged in the business of removing or hauling trash, litter, rubbish or other waste within the city must obtain a certificate of registration for each vehicle so used. Before any certificate of registration is issued, each vehicle requiring such certificate shall be inspected by the city to determine whether it is properly equipped for the hauling of trash. The city shall issue a written statement that the vehicle does or does not pass inspection and shall state any deficiencies required to be corrected on the vehicle.
  • Expires December 31
  • Application Fee: $13.25 
  • Certificate/Vehicle Inspection Fee: $65.25 per truck

Tree Trimmers License

In Aurora, any person or company performing tree work for hire is required to possess an Arborist license and a business license. Arborist licensing is administered through the Forestry Division. For information about arborist licensing, call the Forestry Division at 303-739-7177 or view helpful tips on hiring tree companies.

City of Aurora Colorado -- 15151 E. Alameda Pkwy -- Aurora, CO 80012            Access Aurora: 303-739-7000