

**PUBLIC SAFETY, COURTS & CIVIL SERVICE MEETING**  
**JANUARY 21, 2021**

Members Present: Council Member Dave Gruber, Chair  
Council Member Marsha Berzins, Vice Chair  
Council Member Curtis Gardner, Member  
Council Member Alison Coombs  
Council Member Allison Hiltz  
Council Member Angela Lawson  
Council Member Juan Marcano  
Council Member Nicole Johnston

Others Present: A. Dickens, A. Robnett, C. Amsler, C. Andersen, C. Hills, C. Juul, C. McCoy, C. McDonald, C. R. McDonald, D. Patterson, D. Carrel, D. Giordano, D. Wilson, D. Parker, F. Gray, H. Glidden, I. Evans, J. Drake, J. Batchelor, J. Heckman, J. Schneebeck, J. Twombly, M. Bryant, M. Chapman, M. Fassio, M. Hanifin, M. Hays, M. Platt, M. Sears, M. Longshore, S. Day, S. Redfearn, T. Brown, T. Buneta, W. Lippman, and Z. DeBoyes

---

**ANNOUNCEMENTS**

CM Gruber: Last year this committee focused on reform and transparency. The committee made recommendations that were vetted by council and made law. The committee will continue to ensure those reforms and transparency actions remain important topics and will monitor the successes as the year goes on. This year, the loudest concern I hear from constituents is about our increase in crime rate. Our residents of Aurora want those rates to drop. Therefore, I'd like the committee to focus on how to reduce crime in Aurora. Our charter includes Fire Rescue, Courts, Civil Service, and of course we'll review and provide oversight on all of those topics as well. We'll see that they're covered in depth in our coming meetings.

---

**REVIEW/APPROVAL OF MINUTES**

December 10, 2020 minutes approved.

---

**CONSENT ITEMS**

None.

---

**2020 CRIME UPDATES**

Summary of Issue and Discussion

Darin Parker, Deputy Chief of Police presented this item to the committee. He explained the statistics being provided today are preliminary. The final numbers may be available sometime in February. Reasons for that is it takes time for the reports to go through the report management systems, be approved, and transcribed. The analysts then compares the numbers with those from Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to make sure there's correlation and alignment with those numbers. 2020 Homicides are 43; up 53% from 2019. Sex Assaults were down 23% for 2020. All of the other major crime statistics correlate to the rest of the metro area and nationally show an increase from 2019. Aggravated Assaults were up 33% and Robberies were up 21%. All violent crimes in total, the four previous crimes, show an aggregate increase of 22%. Burglaries

were up 11%, Motor Vehicle Thefts were up 70%, and Larceny was up 1.6%. Total aggregate increase of the property crimes is an increase of 17%. Aggregate numbers of all the index crimes shows an increase of 18% from 2019 to 2020. Aurora's statistics correlate very closely when compared to Denver Police Department (DPD) and supports the notion that increased crime is not specific to Aurora, but rather the whole metro area.

CM Gruber: I'm interested, and maybe the committee members are as well, on some of the specific elements that you reported. For example, the auto theft being up 70%. Could you provide more background on that, why that is, and what we can do about it?

Parker: Talking to our CMATT group, and certainly prior to, we started to see an increase in motor vehicle thefts trending up for some years. It's been a major problem and we've already seen it going up. I think one of the biggest contributors we look at in 2020 was the inability to essentially put people in jail for these crimes. We believe it's had a significant impact. We can debate the merits of incarceration, but I believe there's a deterrent effect to the notion that somebody's going to actually go to jail for some period of time if they commit a crime. This is supported by interviews with suspects that our CMATT group had, where suspects have actually told them that there's no incentive for them not to commit the crime when they know they aren't going to jail. That's one theory. However, there were increases in prior years as well. As far as what can be done, CMATT is focused on this and certainly more resources wouldn't hurt. As far as more specific ideas, I think that's something that I would be happy to come back with for a more focused discussion, getting those folks involved that are doing those investigations and enforcement.

CM Gruber: Those are violations of state laws so those are probably handled in district courts, both 17<sup>th</sup> and 18<sup>th</sup> as well as the Denver District Court. Is that correct? Is that where car thefts are adjudicated?

Parker: It depends on what elements are met. In many cases motor vehicle theft, and another related charge is motor vehicle trespass, and those, absent other aggravating factors, are frequently misdemeanor cases that we charge in municipal court historically. When we get the aggravating factors that make it a felony crime, then we go to the district courts.

CM Gruber: Maybe that would be a point to discuss later. The cooperation between the courts and the police, or at least, cooperation might not be the right word. But at least coordination on the impacts of what we're seeing with crime and maybe some of the judgments.

Parker: I just want to be very clear, when I talk about incarceration and the inability to take folks to jail there is no criticism there. I understand that the jails and our detention center have a responsibility to manage this pandemic and I think a lot of the decisions on the ability to take people to jail are based on that. In other words, being able to keep their facilities clean and safe. There is no criticism. It's just that's one of the outcomes of those decisions that are made, while trying to manage their facilities, impacts our ability to take people to jail.

CM Gruber: I understand that point and I appreciate the fact that you clarified that. As the vaccines are rolled out during the course of the year, hopefully near the end of the year we'll have sufficient vaccines for everyone that's being detained so that COVID isn't a concern for them anymore. Having said that, you mentioned earlier that the trend has increased over the last few years and it jumped this year. I agree with your summation that's probably due to the fact that those people that are stealing cars are not going to jail so they're simply back on the street stealing more cars. With the vaccine being deployed, hopefully that will be rectified in some way. But, nonetheless, the trend has been going up for the last few years. So, I'd like to try to understand what we, as a city, and if we cooperate in the metro area, can do about that.

Parker: If you want to have that as a topic for a future committee meeting, that's certainly something that we can prepare a presentation for and bring some ideas forward.

CM Berzins: I appreciate that, and no offense taken. The lack of consequences now, I think, does make a difference. If there are no consequences to what you do, what is the incentive to do the right thing? And I know a lot of it is because of COVID. Hopefully we're at the end of COVID maybe a few months longer. People are getting their vaccinations and I'm hoping that we can get back to more normal processes where there are consequences. Thank you, and I would like to hear what you have to say at a later meeting.

CM Gruber: We just had a rather unusual arrest of a person who was building bombs in Aurora and I understand that the police were engaged in that. Can you provide any details? I understand some of this may be sensitive, but can you provide any details on that. I'm particularly interested in officer safety. How did we ensure that our officers and the surrounding civilians that were adjacent to the house were protected?

Parker: I can speak mostly generally about that. I know that we had a collaborative effort with APD, AFR, ATF, and Arapahoe County Bomb Squad. They went out to the locations to help mitigate some of the concerns and issues with potential explosion or handling of the device that was found.

Division Chief Terry Brown: There were a lot of safety issues that went into this. We were concerned about booby-traps and all that kind of stuff. The guys did their homework on whose house it was. We found out that this guy was restricted to his room and garage and that the house belonged to another family. Precautions were taken and concentrated on his room and the garage. Working with ATF and Arapahoe Bomb Squad, they went very slowly and meticulously through the house to clear it. We did find another device that was not armed in his room.

CM Gruber: The preservation of evidence wasn't a problem?

Brown: Correct, we didn't have any problems or issues.

CM Gardner: There was talk about how jailing is a deterrent. I think there's a lot of studies out there that show traditional jailing isn't a deterrent. In fact, there's really high recidivism rates with those who commit crimes and then go to jail. And there's a lot of alternatives to incarceration that have shown to be very successful. We just haven't, as a society, shown a willingness, to launch those. I'd be curious, since it was mentioned, do we have data to back up the claim that jailing is the best option for crimes committed. If so, I think we should have that presented at a future meeting. My other question is, can the crime stats be included in a future meeting? It's kind of hard to formulate any questions without having had backup in advance to really know what numbers were going to be presented. We maybe don't need a whole presentation but at least include it on the consent agenda. I know I'll have questions once I'm able to see the data, but without having had that in advance, it was hard to formulate those.

Parker: Yes, absolutely we can provide those numbers. I'll provide the one's I'm looking at today and when we get the final numbers, or official report, we'll certainly provide those. To your comment about incarceration, I understand that that's a debatable topic. I don't have hardcore data to support my opinion. I'm not saying that's a universal answer to everything, and I certainly agree with your comment that it's worthy of discussion because there's varying opinions.

CM Berzins: I don't want you to misunderstand what I said either. When I said consequences, that is a whole area of whatever fits the crime. I wasn't saying the consequence for everyone is to go to jail. You have to have a whole cache of consequences. I wasn't saying that if you do something you go to jail. There are a lot



of different things that can make a person think twice about what they do. I did want to ask the Chief, when you did go to the bomb makers house, did you find guns?

Brown: We did. A rifle and a handgun as well as several hundred rounds of ammunition were recovered.

CM Berzins: Did you use the BEAR or some of the militarized equipment that we have?

Brown: I don't know if they had the BEAR out there. I assume that they did but I was not on scene.

CM Berzins: It just sounds like a really dangerous situation for our police and actually all the group that was out there. I don't know how you coordinate that, but I know you're all trained. I just wanted to ask that. Thank you.

### Outcome

Information Only

### Follow-up Action

Provide preliminary statistics to the committee in the minutes and the final report on consent when available.

---

## **POLICE COMMUNITY RELATIONS MANAGER**

### Summary of Issue and Discussion

Claudine McDonald, Police Community Relations Manager presented this item to the committee. A presentation was shared. Highlights include; Chief's Youth Advisory Team (CYAT), Community Panels, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Training, Recruiting, Community Engagement, and the FIVE-0 Activity Truck. The CYAT is for youth ages 14-17 and local law enforcement the opportunity to connect in a positive environment, build a trusting relationship and strengthen community. Meetings will be held monthly, and topics will be led by the youth discussion. Recruiting for this group included meeting with organizations such as Young Aspiring Americans for Social and Police Activism (YAASPA). Applications have been submitted and selections will be made soon. Applications for interested youth can be submitted online. Dr. Nita Mosby-Tyler is providing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion training to all sworn personnel. The training is required of all sworn officers. All staff will be taking training on cultural competency. They will go through trainings conducted by Claudine. Ongoing education and celebration will be taking place throughout the year for all staff. Recruiting is also part of what Claudine will be tasked with. Some of the biggest recruiting tools currently is Indeed or police referrals. We can no longer say the men and women of the police department because we have members of the police force who have chosen to identify as non-binary. The terminology that we'll be using going forward with is members of the police department. Community Panelist Feedback includes having community members come have dialogue with recruits as a way of building trust in the community. Community Engagement includes bringing the voice of the community into our daily work to elevate the Aurora Police Department as a whole. The top three initiatives include Aurora Key Community Response Team (AKCRT), Responding to Aurora's Critical Topics (ReACT) and Aurora Community of Faith (ACOF). Money savings from AKCRT going to virtual meetings is being used towards organizations via donation. Organizations can be non-profit or an organization that is basically front-line doing work in the community. They will be invited to AKCRT to give a presentation on their organization and given \$500 seed money so they can continue their good work for the Aurora community. Other initiatives include Heavy Hands Heavy Hearts, Juneteenth Celebration, food access initiatives, and mentoring programs in the police-department. The community relations officers received a grant through the Daniel's Fund for the purchase of an activity truck that they have called the FIVE-0 Trailer. It will include

games, activities and frozen treats. There's not a lot of community gatherings right now but it will be used to engage with the community in a positive environment.

CM Berzins: Congratulations on your new job, Claudine. Whose budget is the FIVE-0 truck coming from?

McDonald: The truck is fully funded by a grant from the Daniel's Fund.

CM Berzins: It sounds like there are a lot of different programs going on for youth violence and I look forward to seeing how CM Lawson's new program is going to work out because I think if we get enough going at the same time we'll be able to help the youth of Aurora.

CM Gruber: CM Lawson's initiative with A-GRIP and the other funds, will that fall into the same area that you're working now or will that be handled differently than what you're already doing?

Batchelor: The efforts will complement each other. A-GRIP and the other efforts are not being housed in the police department.

Outcome

Information Only

Follow-up Action

None.

---

## 2020 POLICY COMMITTEE AGENDA REVIEW

Summary of Issue and Discussion

Jason Batchelor, Deputy City Manager, explained the list of agenda items from 2020 was provided in the backup for the committee to review and to provide background before moving into the 2021 workplan.

CM Berzins: I see that you reviewed in February the fireworks ordinance. I just want to say, to be proactive, I hope that July 4<sup>th</sup> this year we will be able to have fireworks. I think our community needs to get together and do something together. Because we didn't have fireworks in 2020, there were still fireworks going off in the city but instead of being a community together it was individuals all over the city. It was a beautiful sight to see if you like fireworks, but I vote for 2021 fireworks as a community this year.

Batchelor: I know that's on the list for Fire to come back to you with.

CM Gardner: There's an item on November, the 2015-2020 separation survey stats. That had come from an ask I had on the review of exit interview surveys. At the time, we had talked about having the chiefs come back to talk about how their using data and how they use the surveys when people separate. Are we still going to have that? We talked about doing that in January or February.

Batchelor: We can do that. We will add that to the agenda to have both chiefs and HR come back to talk about how we try to utilize the exit interview data.

Outcome

Information Only

Follow-up Action

None.

---

## 2021 POLICY COMMITTEE WORKPLAN

### Summary of Issue and Discussion

DCM Batchelor explained this item is for the committee to discuss what they wanted to see brought forward and/or have each director provide what they would like to bring forward in the coming year.

Gray: We'd like to bring forth a presentation related to paramedic training and partnerships that we've been exploring over the last two years. I've noticed over the last couple years that Public Safety shares my approach to using data to make decisions. So, one of the things I'd like to bring forward is how we're using data to drive some of our safety enhancement. I think it would be important for Public Safety to hear about critical incident stress management. We'd like to bring the presentation on Fireworks to the committee in May. Another item is the International Fire Code (IFC) ordinance adoption in October. From the Office of Emergency Management would be the comprehensive emergency management plan. This being somewhat time sensitive would be brought forward in March. We also have the hazard mitigation plan that needs to be reviewed by this committee around July or August. We'd also like to provide some details on metrics captured in 2020 perhaps at the February meeting. Special Operations is something that is always good for Council to know about. Another piece that is something to bring forward is our fleet replacement plan. Lastly, our recruiting strategy and community health endeavors update.

CM Gruber: I think what we may end up doing is we'll listen to all the leadership and then the committee will probably ask DCM Batchelor to bring these things forward to us at our next meeting.

CM Berzins: Will the firefighter health item be giving us a snapshot of the firefighters we're losing because of cancer-related illnesses due to their job? Also, I'd like to know...it seems our firefighters have so many problems dealing with healthcare and getting the medications they need if they have to retire. I'd like to hear about that because we can't do that to our firefighters.

Gray: These concerns would be covered in the agenda item discussion on critical incident stress management and how we're providing services to our members from a well-being and psychological standpoint. The other piece on cancer in the fire service would be covered under the data driven safety enhancements.

CM Berzins: You mentioned recruiting. Is that going to include why we're having so many firefighters walk over from Aurora to another city. Is that because of pay, morale...we can't do that either. We can't lose our highly trained members and we've said over and over how much money it costs us to recruit and train. We just can't afford to keep losing these folks.

Batchelor: I think this topic gets to the point that CM Gardner had brought up earlier, which is we are conducting exit interviews when folks leave. I think that would be best covered in that topic when we revisit it.

CM Berzins: Well, we've done that before and they're still leaving. It's very frustrating knowing that we're spending all this money.

Batchelor: That's where data can be our friend. I know there's a perception that we have a lot of folks leaving, and one is too many, but the numbers are actually, perhaps, not as large as the perception has been.

CM Berzins: Okay and I'll look forward to seeing that.

CM Gardner: Chief Gray, what is the status for Station 17?

Gray: Within the next 10-14 days, we should be able to start responding out of that facility. The city has taken possession of it but we're making sure some of the technology adjuncts are being installed.

CM Gardner: Okay. My understanding is we were able to use some CARES dollars to upgrade some software and one of the things the software is going to do is allow us to use mapping technology to look at response times and where we might have holes in our stations and things like that. Is that the case? If so, will we have that data ready for this year as something we can start to look at for a long-term roadmap?

Gray: Yes, sir.

CM Gardner: Maybe later in the year, if we have time on the agenda, I'd like to see how that works. The software was something I was interested in because it needed to be done so I'm glad to see we were able to do that. I think there's a lot of features we're going to be able to take advantage of from what I've heard.

CM Gruber: Jason and Chief, if you don't mind adding that. Also relate that to the heat maps that we've talked about before as to where we expect things to happen and how well-prepared we are to respond quickly to those areas.

DeBoyes: This is going to be a challenging year for me because I have two senior individuals that have informed me that they will be leaving before the end of the year. My Detention Administrator will be replaced in March or April. I'll be bringing that individual to you so you can meet that person. Also, the Chief Marshall will be retiring in May or June, so I'll be bringing that new individual to you. I'll be bringing forward some budgetary and staffing issues because when I put five positions on hold for 2021, I indicated that it would be for one year only. I did not eliminate those positions so I will probably start with this committee in justifying why either one or two of those positions need to be put back in place. If we don't need them, I will not be coming to you.

CM Gruber: Since I've been on Management and Finance, I'm not aware that your department had permanent cuts. Do I understand that correctly or were these cuts made permanent?

DeBoyes: No, sir. When we were asked to assist with vacancy savings and cuts, I indicated that I would give up five positions for 2021. Some of those positions started as early as March 2020. So last year, from my budget so far, I rolled \$745K to the general budget from vacancy savings. From March 2020, we have held positions open to help the city during this budget crisis. When they asked what I could give, I said I could give five positions that were currently vacant and I'm willing to keep them vacant through 2021. Towards the end of 2021, I would like to look at those positions to see if we need them. I don't mind keeping them vacant, but I don't want to give up the FTE's.

CM Gruber: Since they are on the budget, they are budgeted. That's a good thing. Having chaired Management and Finance, what will happen is as the economy begins to recover, the City Manager is going to have a challenge in determining what things that were cut will be refunded. The bottom line is that these are funded so it's just a question of when they come back, and your point is very well taken.

Day: The one thing I would like to propose to put on the agenda in the very near future would be a presentation and an update about our, now operational, Armed Forces Treatment Court. I'd like to coordinate with the committee's calendar in addition to our Armed Forces Treatment Court judicial staff and team members, which would include some of our community partners.



CM Gruber: Do you have anything else you'd like to cover as far as how full is the court, is your manpower sufficient, anything like that that you'd like to cover?

Day: Yes. I was just contacted by Aurora TV. They want to do an interview about us going virtual and how the court is operating virtually. Myself, Dr. DeBoyes, Doug Wilson, and Julie Heckman can put together a presentation as to our virtual court operations and the impacts of going virtual. We can put that on the committee's radar as well.

CM Gruber: With that I'd like some thoughts as to what we continue post-COVID versus...I suspect the world will never go back to the way it was last February. So, what will be virtual, what makes sense to stay virtual and what makes sense to bring in house. Would you incorporate those thoughts into your presentation?

Day: Absolutely. I think we can address it not only from an operation standpoint but even a technical standpoint as well. Looking at, not only the immediate future but the long-term future. I don't think virtual court will stop once the pandemic is over. I think it will be something for all of us, the courts throughout the state and country, will continue to offer our community members. Yes, I'd be happy to add that.

CM Gardner: I saw that we delayed some more court dates. How does that work with rights to speedy trials and how that process works?

Day: It's something we look at every day and we try to make decisions on a week-by-week basis based on where the pandemic is and how it can affect access to justice. It's very important and we need to balance the safety of our community members and also having access to justice. We also have to consider the impact on speedy trial. That's an issue that will continue to be litigated going forward regarding the postponements and the balance between safety and a person's constitutional right to a speedy trial. We've had to put our press releases and announce postponements of jury trials and bench trials. You'll continue to see that probably on a weekly basis until we get to the point where it can be safe to conduct trials and bring people into the courthouse.

D. Wilson: I've been here a year, which has been an interesting year. I came in with some direction to make some changes and the very first thing I did is I met with a lot of you guys about an assessment of this office, which has never been done. I wanted a top to bottom assessment and there was some money at the time. Unfortunately, COVID hit and that money went away. I have been able to procure a grant from the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA) to have the National Legal Defender Association (NLDA) do a top to bottom assessment for us. They're going to reach to a lot of you folks. It's going to start quickly. You're going to get a letter from them saying they would like an opportunity to talk with you. It's really critical when the reports are done to set up a time to talk with you about the reports. I can send you an example of a report they've done from Bend, Oregon so you can get some idea of what it looks like. We are clearly going to be talking about staffing, resources, and workload. I have retention and recruitment issues over here as well. It'll give us a much better idea to show council not only what we do but how we can improve and we're going to need support to make those improvements. The second big area I wanted to do is the case management system that is now instituted. We're not only tracking our cases effective January 11, 2020, but everyone in the office is time tracking so I can get some reports out to council in about six months to talk about what we do and how much time it takes. Regarding the previous discussion on speedy trials, we're going to be arguing about 60 of those motions on February 22 at 1:30pm, if anyone wants to jump on and watch, it's going to be an interesting day. We have tried really hard to work with Judge Day and Julie Heckman's office because it has been challenging for everyone. Dr. DeBoyes' staff has moved thousands



of cases over this period of time. Lastly, CM Marcano asked me to take a look at the Municipal Code. I'm going to get that done and to you in the next month or so.

CM Gruber: If you would please, send the copy of the report mentioned from Bend, Oregon to the committee members. I'm trying to track, how many sessions would you like?

D. Wilson: I would suggest a couple. One at the beginning for the NLDA to make a presentation to you as to what they're going to do and why they're going to do it in February or March. Then when we have the assessment done and I have six months of data from the case management system, come back and present them both at the same time, perhaps in July, August, or September.

CM Gruber: It sounds like there's going to be a budget request so get it to us before we determine the budget.

Heckman: There have been informational topics in the past that other committees have wanted to hear about. We're happy to be a part of that in conjunction with other agencies. One that we've done quite often is the domestic violence program because we do have a robust fast-track system, or what was designed to be a fast-track system. We talked about that last year with the new DV unit in the police department. We'd be happy to do that presentation if you're interested. We can talk about Wellness Court and the Armed Forces Court if you're interested. One thing for our office that we've been working in collaboration with the other departments regarding case management and our continued focus on getting municipal court away from hard-copy files and move to electronic. That is a real issue for all of us, but especially for the City Attorney's Office because we have the obligation and responsibility to give discovery to all defendants in this court. We're a very busy court, with 45-50,000 cases a year. When we're handling those physical cases, in order to get discovery out to the defendants, which is all defendants, we have the obligation to get discovery to all of them for all the cases. This makes it difficult to be dealing with paper files with more and more evidence such as the body worn camera evidence that doesn't start on paper. To put it in a format that we can give out to people is very difficult and cumbersome. It's a huge focus for us to continue working with our partners and court IT to keep moving that forward. We have the same concerns as others regarding staffing and budget. Current vacancies include one city attorney position and one of two victim witness liaisons, which impacts assistance provided to victims and witnesses that are subpoenaed to come in. The receptionist position is also vacant that is currently backfilled by other secretaries. We also have a legal secretary position that we lost funding through the grant we had set up with the Juvenile Assessment Center (JAC). I share the same concerns as Dr. DeBoyes that those don't turn into more than just vacancies.

CM Gruber: So as far as presentations, I heard you say that there was a presentation on domestic violence. I would like to see a presentation on that (supported by CM Gardner). You talked about helping the court go paperless. I wonder if there is a grant for that. I heard you say that you would like to present your plan or a concept for going paperless in the future. So that's another topic that we would add.

Heckman: That's a continued focus that we have and that we are working on. I don't know that we need to do a presentation unless you need one. We're are working through that and I think it's a thing that's very important for our court and moving forward.

CM Gruber: As you said, it affects how evidence is collected, retained, how it goes to you, how it goes to the public defender, and how it goes to the public. I see that as an overarching requirement and I would like to see that come back to us because I believe, from a public safety perspective, it goes across all of the elements. The last thing we talked about was manpower. The billets that you talked about are funded billets, which is good news. The money simply hasn't been allocated because of COVID and the \$31 million deficit that we have. The bigger question is, as the economy begins to crank back up, as our tax revenues go back

up and we have sufficient dollars, when will you get the bodies in the City Attorney's Office? Does that capture what you said?

Heckman: Yes.

CM Gruber: I would like to know more about that as well. I suspect Management and Finance will look to have presentation on the unwinding of things that were wound up as the budget went into the crunch.

Heckman: On behalf of the Civil Service Commission, Matt Cain, wanted me to pass along that he is not present at the meeting today because there is an administrative hearing going on.

CM Gruber: We can reach out to him separately and find out if he has any topics that he would like to add.

Parker: I don't want to occupy the agenda every month, but I think it would be appropriate to have crime updates and initiatives being developed to work on crime, community relations update, there's a lot of interest in reforms and what we're doing to that end. Maybe a standing amount of time for that. I'm already working on getting motor vehicle thefts presentation, with your approval. There was talk about the DV Unit, so maybe in conjunction with J. Heckman's presentation, we can coordinate and have a presentation from our Domestic Violence Unit that was staffed this past November. We also just started a new initiative called Gang Robbery Investigation Team (GRIT) to target some of our pattern robbery cases. We believe this can be effective in not only reducing robberies but also some of the shootings we've been experiencing.

CM Berzins: I had several things written down for the Police. I would like to see the statistics on how many police and fire we lose every month and are we meeting our 2/1000? I know that we are recruiting and we're getting new people and hopefully that will offset that. I know we've lost a lot and we have an obligation to stay with our contract of the 2/1000 even though it has changed a little bit. I would like to know what laws we have in Aurora, or State of Colorado, on blocking streets and are we enforcing that. If not, why not? I brought this up months ago and nothing ever happened. People have a right to gather and this is not about that. It's about once they leave the place that they gather and block the roads of people trying to do business in Aurora, using baseball bats to break out windows and things like that are...why aren't we enforcing that? The state roads...why isn't State Patrol enforcing it, like I-70. I guess I want to know what rules are in place and what we're doing about it. Another thing is, when we are asked to go to another city to help them, what are we looking for, for the safety of our officers. I'm referencing back to Denver being questioned of not having a plan in place for some of things that happened in Downtown Denver. Do we ask before we say yes and send people down there? What are we asking and what are we requiring of them before we put our officers in danger? Being a firefighter and a police officer is a dangerous job. As the Public Safety Committee, we have the duty to ask these questions. I want an update mid-year on statistics on Pitbull type dogs. Are they coming in to be chipped and do we have incidents? I'm getting phones calls. One from a lady whose husband was attacked by a Pitbull type dog and now she's afraid to walk down the sidewalk. I would like to know if our new rules are helping, whose coming in to have them chipped, and are they getting their shots. I consider this a public safety question when I'm getting calls from people whose husbands are getting chewed up and they're afraid to walk down the street. I want to hear some statistics on that. I think this committee needs to branch out and not just focus on police issues and to stay focused on the big picture in Aurora and not be as reactive as the state legislature was. To be thoughtful and look at the big picture.

CM Gardner: Last year we received a presentation from the city manager regarding a survey that had been conducted on how the Civil Service Commission works in other cities, similar to our size. I believe they were going to look at how other cities were doing it and how we might comply with our city charter. Whether or not things would need to be changed. I would like to see the follow-up to that in terms of some of those recommendations and things that Jim had conducted in the survey and if we're able to do that under Charter.

The other was on the Pitbull issue, I think Animal Services would go the Housing Committee. I don't know how we would rope that into this committee because the Animal Services really would fall under Housing and Neighborhood Services.

CM Berzins: I'm on the Housing Committee and I will get that on there too. I just think it's a public safety issue too.

Batchelor: I do want to recognize Tina Buneta from the Public Safety Dispatch to see if we've got anything coming out of the Public Safety Dispatch for updates. I think we'll do an update from her to kind of let you know we've set her up as a stand-alone department, so just an overview at the bare minimum. But I'll see if she's got other topics she wants to bring forward.

Buneta: I'm excited to be here and I've also been here one year. Moving into 2021 we are focused on a couple distinct areas. Number one is customer service. We've identified that there are some opportunities for us to better engage our community, but also better partner with our other public safety entities and with other departments in the City of Aurora so that we can create a one-call, one-click, one-conversation type of customer service initiative. We'll be working with police, fire, and Access Aurora to find out how we can help the members of our community reduce the number of phone calls they need to make when they have a question. Another thing is focusing on performance measures, and really reporting back to our community on the services that we're providing. Focusing on call answering times and quality assurance measures to make sure that we're providing the best service possible. This is something that we're tracking on a continual basis. We're also looking at opportunities to engage our community on a higher level by establishing a methodology for our community to provide us feedback on the quality of service that we're providing. In addition, partnering with City Communications to launch a rebranding effort to reintroduce ourselves to the community and establish ourselves in a public-facing way for community education, public safety education, and increase the dialogue that we have with our community. We are also focusing on recruiting engagement and retention. We're working with HR to improve our efficiencies in our hiring practices. We have some initiatives in place to create some efficiencies for our hiring and background process but we're looking to build on that progress with improving our retention rate and reducing our attrition rate.

CM Gruber: What I heard you say is that you want to present on customer service and call optimization, another presentation on performance measures or smaller snapshots throughout the year, the third was recruitment, retention and staff issues.

Batchelor: I think that's it. We'll maybe have some other topics from our partners that may come up.

#### Outcome

Information Only

#### Follow-up Action

D. Wilson will send the assessment report from Bend, Oregon to the Committee members. Staff will put the list together of future agenda items.

---

### **PULSEPOINT PROGRAM**

#### Summary of Issue and Discussion

David Patterson, Falck CEO presented this item to the committee. A presentation was shared and provided in backup. Falck is the contracted emergency ambulance provider with the city. PulsePoint is a new public safety related application for the community. It's connected to 9-1-1 that can immediately inform registered



users of emergencies occurring in the community and can request help when CPR is needed nearby. The Cardiac Arrest Registry to Enhance Survival (CARES) sponsored by Emory University, is a program that agencies from around the country voluntarily submit cardiac arrest survival data to be included in annual reports. The 2019 data was shared. A chain of survival is what assists patients who are in sudden cardiac arrest. This is a patient who is not breathing, has no heartbeat and is clinically dead. That chain of survival consists of a group of responders starting with 9-1-1 Dispatch, bystanders who engage in CPR, AFR, Falck, APD, hospital teams, and rehab. Aurora exceeds the state and national averages of agencies providing data to CARES when it relates to survival at hospital admission to discharge. Aurora leads in the 2019 data related to hospital discharge and Cerebral Performance Category (CPC). One area of improvement noted is the bystander CPR and engagement as well as public automated defibrillator use. It's important to note that bystander CPR exponentially improves opportunities for survival of patient in sudden cardiac arrest. CPR is taught as hands only for bystanders. Falck proposed PulsePoint to the city as a free application available for download to a mobile device. It provides the citizen responder with a notification of a patient experiencing sudden cardiac arrest who is in a public location and turn-by-turn directions to that location. The application also provides AED locations. The application has an electronic interface with the dispatch system, so the dispatcher doesn't have to take additional action if the emergency medical dispatch code comes in that a patient who is not breathing is in cardiac arrest. The application also provides direction on how to perform CPR if needed. Sherri Jo Stowell from AFR has been helping to get the word out about this as well as through different social media platforms Falck has. There are neighboring agencies in the Denver Metro Area as well as throughout Colorado who participate or are already online. We're excited to get Aurora up on the PulsePoint system. AFR is able to add AED's to the registry as they come across them. Falck's goal is to improve sudden cardiac arrest survival rates as a system through early identification of bystanders who are willing to initiate CPR, as well as improve and increase AED coverage and recognition of where those devices are.

CM Gruber: This is very exciting. I've attended the AFR presentations where the Phoenix Awards are given and it's fascinating that people that were legally dead are alive and thanking the fire department, Falck, and citizens. This is very positive.

CM Gardner: Is there some kind of Good Samaritan protection if there isn't a positive outcome?

Patterson: There might be some attorneys on the call that might be more equipped to answer this question. However, there are Good Samaritan laws typically in every state. If you're operating in good faith to the level of training or knowledge that you have, you do have those protections and most of those laws are created exactly for that purpose so that it doesn't restrict or discourage someone from helping if they can.

CM Gruber: If we don't have someone on staff who can answer right away, if we get back to the committee with that answer, I'd appreciate it.

CM Berzins: I think this is fantastic too and I basically had the same question as CM Gardner, the liability aspect of it. I think it's wonderful. Former Council Member Roth saved someone's life by doing this and what a blessing that is. Thank you for doing this Mr. Patterson.

Patterson: Thank you all for the opportunity to present. I'm also available to you or your peers for your town hall or ward meetings, if you'd like me to do a similar version of this presentation at those, I'm happy to. The more public outreach and education about it we can get and the more people we can get enrolled. We'd like to be able to exceed our peers in the Denver area. After a soft-launch, Aurora has 3-4,000 subscribers and South Metro has about 8,300 subscribers. I'm confident that we can really get our numbers up and hopefully create that force multiplier for Aurora's professional responders.

Outcome  
Information Only

Follow-up Action  
None.

---

**TRAFFIC SAFETY UPDATE**

Summary of Issue and Discussion

Due to time, this item will be presented at the next Public Safety Committee meeting.

Outcome  
N/A

Follow-up Action  
Staff will move item to February meeting agenda.

---

**MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION**

None.

---

**CONFIRM NEXT MEETING AND ADJOURNMENT**

Next meeting confirmed for February 18, 2021 at 11am via WebEx

Meeting adjourned at 12:55pm

APPROVED:

  
\_\_\_\_\_  
Dave Gruber, Chair

